Intelligent in-line inspections (ILI) are widely used to guarantee the safe operational conditions of pipelines. The in-line inspection provides reliable data in an economic way. Ultrasonic Technology (UT) is currently the most accurate and reliable ILI technology available in the market. UT ILI tools record data while travelling through the entire pipeline from launcher to receiver. In most cases, the pipeline operator does not need to make major adjustments to their pipeline.
NDT Global recently introduced the latest generation of UT tools: Evo Series 1.0. This generation offers inspection velocities of up to 4 m/s (9 mph). These high-speed tools overcome reduction of flow rates for intelligent inspection runs. In addition, these tools also offer the highest axial resolution available at the market (0.75 mm (0.03 in) ) and circumferential resolution of 4 mm (0.19 in), providing excellent input for accurate pressure calculations, e.g. based on river bottom and crack depth profiles or even 3D finite element modeling.
The Future of Ultrasonic Inspection
- Detection of deep flaws
- High sensitivity, permitting the detection of extremely small flaws
- Greater accuracy than other non-destructive methods in determining the depth of internal flaws and the thickness of parts with parallel surfaces
- Capable of estimating the size, orientation, shape and nature of defects
- Capable of estimating the structure of alloys of components with different acoustic properties
- Non-hazardous to operations or to nearby personnel and has no effect on equipment and materials in the vicinity